ADVERTISEMENT

Yves Bissouma, Djed Spence and Paratici’s plans for a Tottenham transfer window like no other

ADVERTISEMENT

Fabio Paratici is working through a transfer window like no other at Tottenham Hotspur to provide Antonio Conte with a squad that can challenge on all fronts.

When the two Italians met on a hot morning in Turin five days after the end of the season, they discussed plans and goals to put together a much bigger and stronger team that would allow the coach to challenge the best clubs in the Premier League and the Champions. League next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Conte was particularly taken aback that by the end of the campaign it had only taken four or five injuries to ensure that he needed to name four young academy players on his bench, three without a Premier League appearance to their name and one in Dane Scarlett with just a handful of minutes from two late cameos. football.london He understands that the head coach felt restricted at times last season with his inability to turn games around by having a bench full of players close to the level of his starting XI.

READ MORE: The 11 Tottenham youngsters to watch next season who could soon save Daniel Levy millions

Conte had made it very well known that, despite another season remaining on his contract, he would need to feel that ‘his path’ was going to be supported, as he couldn’t spend two seasons at a club without chasing trophies or one simply being content with finish fourth in the Champions League.

Buoyed by the extra £150m pumped into the club by the ENIC owners, chairman Daniel Levy had already assured Conte that backing would be coming and Paratici quickly turned his best laid plans into reality and the club is prepared to spend heavily to back it up. his trophy-laden head coach.

The former Juventus manager is a known workaholic, creating a spider web of potential transfer deals before deciding which ones to push the button. The 49-year-old has taken little time off since the season ended and the result is that Spurs are poised to make the third signing of the summer despite the transfer window only opening on Friday.

Having brought in Conte’s favorite Ivan Perisic on a free transfer and a local addition in out-of-contract England international goalkeeper Fraser Forster, the club have made their move for 25-year-old Brighton midfielder Yves Bissouma.

Conte called for ready players to get his new team up and running this season and the Mali international has been one of the most impressive players in the Premier League in recent years. With just one year remaining on his contract, Tottenham are expected to close a deal that is initially worth more than £25m but could eventually rise to more than £30m with various add-ons, and the player is set to undergo his medical. at the club later this week.

Conte’s central midfield options currently include Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Rodrigo Bentancur and Oliver Skipp, with Harry Winks expected to leave the club this summer with Everton among the interested parties, and Bissouma will add even more quality to those ranks to as Spurs look to raise the level of the squad for all the competitions ahead.

The Brighton midfielder has been making headlines this season off the pitch after he was arrested last year, along with another man, following an investigation into an incident at a Brighton nightclub.

In response to a query about the incident, Sussex Police said football.london: “A man in his 40s from Brighton who was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault has had his conditional bail extended until June 24, 2022. A man in his 20s, also from Brighton, who was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault has been released under investigation while inquiries continue.”

The Seagulls said in October after the arrest: “Brighton & Hove Albion are aware that one of their players is assisting the police with the investigation of a suspected crime. The matter is subject to legal process and therefore the club is not can do nothing else.” comment right now.”

Paratici is set to make more signings for Conte this summer with the plan to get as many of them through the door in time to participate in the head coach’s grueling pre-season, during which he will lay out the requirements and philosophy he expects this season. Conte wants at least six new faces to come to the club and with the plan to bring many of them in ahead of the team’s tour of South Korea, it will be a summer like no other for Spurs, who are known for dropping their transfer negotiations. for later. in windows

Conte would still like a new left centre-back, striker, creative midfielder and right-back, as well as replacing whoever he had in the squad at the end of the season leaving the club this summer.

Returning loan players Tanguy Ndombele and Giovani Lo Celso are set to go out again, as is last summer’s signing Bryan Gil, while Winks, Steven Bergwijn and Joe Rodon are expected to be among those leaving in search of regular soccer. Tottenham are also expected to hear offers for Sergio Reguilón and Emerson Royal.

Spurs have had internal discussions about bringing Christian Eriksen back to the club. The Denmark international, nearing the end of his short-term contract at Brentford, is understood to be interested in staying in London and Tottenham hope to convince him to work with Conte again, with Manchester United and the Bees also interested.

Tottenham are also expected to make a bid for Middlesbrough winger Djed Spence, who had a breakout season with Nottingham Forest and helped them to promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs. The 21-year-old is understood to be in favor of a move to Spurs, lured by the prospect of playing in the Champions League and working with Conte, but the north London club have yet to come to an agreement with Boro to the England under-21 international, who is also of interest to Borussia Dortmund, Roma, Newcastle, Brentford and Forest.

Paratici is a big fan of Everton winger Richarlison and Spurs are monitoring his situation this summer as the Liverpool club showed interest in Winks during January before and after the arrival of Frank Lampard and the potential of a mutually beneficial deal. . Tottenham are also among the many clubs that have shown interest in Leeds United’s Raphinha and Newcastle attacker Allan Saint-Maximin.

Conte would like a couple of new centre-backs, with RB Leipzig’s Josko Gvardiol, Villarreal’s Pau Torres, Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi, Torino’s Gleison Bremer, Barcelona’s Clement Lenglet and 19-year-old Ukrainian international centre-back Ilya Zabarnyi among the names. on your short list.

Spurs have not quite closed the door on a potential move for Inter’s Alessandro Bastoni, who has a big fan in Conte, as they continue to monitor the financial situation of the Serie A club, but with other names linked to the door of departure in Milan and enthusiastic defender. stay there, it might take a drastic change in circumstances for that to happen at this point.

Among the current squad, Tottenham stars are also happy with Son Heung-min coming off a season in which he reached new heights by claiming the Premier League Golden Boot under Mohamed Salah and Harry Kane is understood to be open to keeping talks about a new deal. in the coming months if the club continues to show signs of ambition this summer. It’s a far cry from a year ago with Kane now excited about what’s to come under Conte and the opportunity to play in the Champions League again and also win trophies with Spurs.

It’s not just the first team where new signings are being made at the North London club. football.london understands that Spurs have snapped up Ireland U19 goalkeeper Josh Keeley. The 19-year-old plays for St Patrick’s Athletic and will arrive at the Premier League club following the release of five goalkeepers at various levels in recent weeks.

Paratici has also been busy off the pitch as he builds a new recruiting squad around himself at Spurs in the wake of director of technical performance Steve Hitchen’s resignation in February. Gretar Steinsson will join Spurs as director of performance, along with Andy Scoulding as his assistant, with both highly-skilled recruiting specialists taking on many of the duties Hitchen had under their tenure and more, both in the first team and in the academy. .

The 40-year-old former Bolton defender Steinsson was head of recruitment and development for three years at Everton, having been manager of Fleetwood Town for four years before that. He was relieved of his duties at the struggling Toffees in December last year following a senior management pick that saw director of football Marcel Brands sacked after what was reported as a power struggle with then-manager Rafa Benítez and exploration and operations manager Dan Purdy. he also went ahead.

The respected Scoulding, also 40, will join from Scottish Rangers, where he was scouting chief for four years, following previous positions the London-born specialist held with the FA, Salford City, Olympiacos and Valencia.

Simon Davies, 48, former Manchester City and Anderlecht manager, will focus on the link with the youth team and academy director Dean Rastrick, who has been proposed to take on the title of chief methodology, ensuring synergy closer between the first team and youth levels.

Tottenham Hotspur will look very different when the new Premier League season rolls around, with matches coming on Thursday morning. Paratici and Conte are determined to build a Spurs team that can finally end the fans’ wait for trophies and lay the foundation for long-term success.

sniloans