The House, a world-class reef house situated at the gates of the Great Barrier Reef, will open its doors on the 4th of July for guests seeking unparalleled levels of privacy and personalized service along with barefoot adventure and a genuine connection with nature. Newly built on a pristine peninsula on exclusive Lizard Island, The House and its adjoining residence The Cottage make up The Estate, a rare and enticing offering that embodies all things authentically Australian and the opportunity for relaxed luxury at its finest.
Located 240 kilometers (150 miles) north of Cairns and 27 kilometers (17 miles) off the coast of North Queensland, Lizard Island is a lush, unspoiled paradise, covered with over 1,000 hectares of National Parkland and surrounded by a Marine Park. protected. The Estate itself is built on a private corner of the island, surrounded by three of the island’s white-sand beaches, which guests can access for snorkeling, diving, fishing, and other sustainable explorations.
Up to eight guests can stay at The Estate, and they can choose between the multi-level, 3-bedroom main residence, The House, as well as The Cottage, a separate single-level nearby sanctuary.
There are many activities available at The House due to a team of experts on hand, such as a naturalist to lead walks, a private chef and sommelier, a facialist, and a masseuse and yoga instructor. The house itself comes with a 56′ Riviera motor yacht available for customized experiences such as sport fishing trips or a day exploring the reef.
For the past three decades, Brisbane-based businessman and philanthropist Steve Wilson has delivered the vision of his late father John Wilson, an entrepreneur who built the first resort on Lizard Island in the 1970s, working to build a property that would yield appropriately paying homage to the sacred land and its Aboriginal and European histories, while ensuring minimal disturbance to the environment during the construction phase. The House stands as a monument to John Wilson’s dream that many others could also appreciate the uniqueness of Lizard Island and enjoy its close proximity to nature.
Owner Steve Wilson said, “Luxury to me is more about authenticity and experience than ostentation,” details owner Steve Wilson. “Luxury is seen in the position of the house, the thought behind the details and of course the views, but that is not to say that we have denied you any luxury in the design and interiors. Each piece chosen for The House has a sense of place. Much of the furniture was hand-built by a local artisan, while other renowned international pieces stand out as working works of art. An iconic table from B&B Italia sits next to a piece of art by an indigenous artist from Far North Queensland. He wanted guests to be captivated but not feel uncomfortable walking in with sand on their feet.”
Leading Queensland architect, Dr. James Davidson of JDA Co., was hired to design the buildings and master plan for the site. For the interior details, Sophie Hart was commissioned as design consultant to celebrate Australian craftsmanship talent.
The House and The Cottage are managed as part of the award-winning Lizard Island Resort as its flagship and most exclusive offering. Resort General Manager Leon Pink says, “Our goal is to provide guests of The House with a ‘bucket list’ experience of a lifetime in this magical part of the world.”
- Return Scenic Charter Flights to Lizard Island from Cairns
- Transfers from Lizard Island Airport to The House (either by Lexus or by boat, depending on guest preference)
- Transfers with driver between La Casa and the resort
- Private host for the duration of the stay to select your itinerary and attend to all your requests
- Private access to 3 pristine beaches on the estate with another 21 beaches to explore on the island
- Premium food and beverages, including a private chef and sommelier available for all meals
- A sunset cruise followed by dinner on the beach.
- Priority access at preferential rates to charter “Pisces”, a luxurious 56-foot motor yacht for reef diving, swimming, snorkeling and fishing
- Unlimited use of “Mojo”, an outboard twin boat to experience the surrounding islands and stops at private beaches
- Tour of the National Park with a naturalist to experience the flora, fauna and sacred sites.
- Tour of the research station on the Australian Museum Island
- Full use of resort facilities including pools, tennis court, gym, restaurant and bars
- 1 hour per couple of day spa services during a 3-night stay; either in the house or in the resort’s wellness center
From AUD $16,000 per night, minimum of 3 nights for 2 pax
From AUD $28,000 per night for the entire House and Cabin, up to 8 pax