NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Sergio Garcia, one of the golfers who has threatened legal action over the suspensions of LIV Golf participants on the DP World Tour, was furious during the BMW International Open last week after learning of the tour’s actions, according to a report. .
A player who competed in the tournament last week told The Daily Telegraph that Garcia “lost control” after learning in the locker room that the European tour had fined those players $120,000. competing in LIV Golf events no releases and banned those players from playing at the Scottish Open next week.
“News [of the ban] came out during the BMW International last week [in Munich]”said the anonymous gamer to the outlet. “Sergio went crazy and yelled ‘this tour sucks, they’re screwed, they should have taken the Saudi money.’ (Scottish golfer) Bob MacIntyre was there and he was grossed out.
PGA LEGEND CURTIS STRANGE ON WHY THE PROS JUMPED INTO LIV GOLF: IT’S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY
“Sergio’s reputation had taken quite a few hits before this, but this has sealed him for a lot of us,” the player continued. “The tirade in America the other month was one thing, but this is his home tour, where he started, and he shouldn’t forget that. Fair enough, he took the money. But he doesn’t have to.” rub other players’ noses in it.”
During the opening round of the Wells Fargo Championship in May, Garcia went on a rampage again after being penalized for taking too long to place his ball on the 10th hole.
“I can’t wait to leave this tour,” he said, according to multiple reports. “I can’t wait to get out of here. A couple more weeks, and I won’t have to deal with you anymore.”
The comments came before Garcia officially joined LIV Golf.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
Garcia is among 16 European tour players who sent a letter to the DP World Tour threatening legal action over the tour’s recent decision to ban and fine players who join the Saudi-backed golf league.
The letter, obtained by The Daily Telegraph, said: “Rather than waste our time, energy, financial resources and focus on appeals, injunctions and lawsuits, we implore you, the custodians of the DP World Tour, to reconsider your recent sanctions and sanctions and instead focus our energies on forging a path forward that is better for members of the DP World Tour and the game of golf.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
But European tour CEO Keith Pelley responded Friday, saying those players were well aware of the fallout, going so far as to point out that several of the players who signed the letter have shown no real interest in the tour for several years. .
“I wish a lot of them had been as eager to play on our tour then as they seem to be now, based on the fact that they gave up their PGA Tour membership or, if they’re still members, were suspended indefinitely.” Pelly said.
Associated Press contributed to this report.