Nick Kyrgios has criticized the ATP’s decision to judge the ‘coach off the court’ in the second half of this season, claiming it risks giving certain players an unfair advantage.
The ATP announced that coaches, who were previously prohibited from communicating with players during matches, you will now be allowed to talk to them between points.
‘HORRIBLE’: World No. 4 under fire for ‘disgraceful’ post-match act
ENORMOUS: The shocking confession of Serena Williams after her return to tennis
Training will be allowed at the US Open, however, Kyrgios was not very impressed by the announcement.
Known for not having a coach in his travel party, Kyrgios said the move risked removing one of the best aspects of tennis: the psychological game.
The 27-year-old took to Twitter to criticize the move, which he also argued could disadvantage lower-ranked players without access to the necessary resources to hire a manager.
“Totally disagree. It loses one of the only unique traits that no other sport had. The player had to figure things out on his own. That was the beauty of it,” he posted on Twitter.
“What happens if a high-profile player vs. a low-ranked player who doesn’t have or can’t afford a coach?”
When the change goes into effect, the US Open will mark the first Grand Slam in the sport’s history, dating back to Wimbledon 1877, in which coaches will be able to chat with players in the middle of the match.
Patrick Mouratoglou, who helped lead Serena Williams to glory, congratulated the ATP for “legalizing a practice that has been going on in almost every match for decades”, but Kyrgios was adamant in his opposition.
Mouratoglou was involved in the most high-profile off-court coaching piece in the 2018 US Open final when Williams received a warning for his mannerisms.
The retrial is due to start on July 11, the day after the Wimbledon final, where Kyrgios has good reason to believe he could have his best run yet after reaching two grass-court semi-finals in two weeks in Stuttgart. and find.
Nick Kyrgios withdraws from Wimbledon warm-up due to abdominal problems
Kyrgios has been in ominous form leading up to Wimbledon, reaching the semi-finals in both Stuttgart and Halle in the run-up to his return to the All England Club.
Unfortunately, that hot run hit a snag overnight after he was forced to withdraw from the Mallorca Championship due to an abdominal injury.
The Australian star should be fit in time for Wimbledon, but it’s a blow to fans who were hoping to see Kyrgios in top form on their favorite grass surface.
“I am very sorry to have to withdraw from tonight’s match here in Mallorca. I have been playing a lot of great matches lately and unfortunately I woke up with pain in my abs,” Kyrgios said in a released statement. by the organizers on Wednesday.
“I went to see the tournament doctor straight away and he advised me not to play tonight. I really value the Mallorca Championship but I will take his advice because I don’t want to risk Wimbledon next week.”
“I was really looking forward to tonight’s game because I love my time here. Mallorca is such a beautiful island with really nice people.”
Javier Cerrato, tournament doctor, reported: “Nick Kyrgios is suffering from pain in the rectus abdominis on the left side due to the accumulation of matches in recent weeks and the effort of yesterday’s first round match.
“This will not allow him to return to the field tonight.”
Organizers must have been disappointed that his exit also prevented the prospect of a huge quarter-final success for the Australian against world number one Daniil Medvedev, who earned his place in the last eight on Wednesday with a 4-6 run. 6-3 6-2 victory over Aslan Karatsev.
Click here to subscribe to our newsletter for the latest and breaking news from Australia and around the world.