Chelsea vs. Liverpool – Football Match Chronicle – May 14, 2022


Liverpool kept its hopes of winning the quadruple alive with a 6-5 penalty shootout victory over Chelsea in the FA Cup final at Wembley Stadium on Saturday.

César Azpilicueta missed and Mason Mount had his penalty saved for Chelsea when Kostas Tsimikas scored the crucial penalty.

– Ogden: Can Liverpool shake off fatigue to win two more trophies this season?
– Klopp: Salah and Van Dijk’s injuries are “fine”
– ESPN+ Viewer’s Guide: Stream LIVE Games, Replays & More (US)


The teams, who met in a second domestic cup final this season, played out an entertaining 120-minute goalless draw before deciding on penalties.

It was a carbon copy of the League Cup final in February, which Liverpool won 11-10 on penalties after that match also ended goalless.

Saturday’s win means Liverpool remain on course for an unprecedented quadruple of trophies.

They are three points behind Manchester City in the Premier League race with two games to go and will face Real Madrid in the Champions League final on May 28.

“I am very proud of my boys,” Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp told the BBC. “Chelsea were outstanding, but in the end there can only be one winner and today it was us.”

For Chelsea, it meant an unwelcome record of becoming the first team to lose three FA Cup finals in a row, after losing to Arsenal in 2020 and Leicester City last year.

Liverpool were at the top early with Luis Diaz a particular threat. A through ball from Trent Alexander-Arnold put Diaz on goal in the eighth minute, but Edouard Mendy denied it before Naby Keita deflected the rebound.

Chelsea responded well to pressure from Liverpool, with Christian Pulisic close behind in the 23rd minute after some excellent play between Mount and Reece James down the right flank. Shortly after, a pass from Pulisic gave Marcos Alonso a vision of goal, but Alisson quickly scrambled out of his line to deny the Chelsea defender.

In the 33rd minute Liverpool suffered a serious blow when Mohamed Salah was sent off due to injury. Diogo Jota came on for him and fired a good chance just before the break.

Chelsea made the quickest start after the break with Pulisic taking advantage of an Alisson save and Alonso hitting the crossbar from a free kick, but both sides worked hard and could only create half chances for much of the second period.

Liverpool had a golden chance to win when substitute James Milner’s cross found Andy Robertson but hit the post from close range.

Liverpool were dealt another blow before extra time when Virgil van Dijk left, apparently injured, and was replaced by Joel Matip.

Neither team could find a breakthrough in the extra 30 minutes, meaning penalty kicks for the second time this season.

Mendy had kept Chelsea alive when he saved Sadio Mane’s penalty, but to no avail as Liverpool won the trophy for the first time since 2006.

Sadly for Chelsea, like in February, it was a case of so close yet so far, although manager Thomas Tuchel was unrepentant.

“Like in the last final, the League Cup, I don’t regret it. I told the team I was proud,” he told reporters. “We played 240 minutes in two finals against perhaps the most dangerous attacking team in the world and we are 0-0.”

“During the match I was sure the momentum was on our side, but unfortunately I wasn’t right.”

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson was presented with the Prince William Cup to the roars of Liverpool fans, while the Chelsea winger was virtually empty.

“It’s a big moment for us, we haven’t been to this final for a while so to win it was special,” Henderson said.

The win was Liverpool’s eighth in the FA Cup’s 150-year history, leveling with Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur. Arsenal have won more with 14.

Information from Reuters was used in this report.