Brandon Nakashima may have been in uncharted territory at Wimbledon on Saturday, but the #NextGenATP American didn’t blink.
The 20-year-old backed up his second-round loss of 2021 semi-finalist Denis Shapovalov with a confident 6-4, 6-4, 6-1 against Daniel Elahi Galan. Nakashima had not won a match on the grass court before his first-round win against Nicola Kuhn, but he is now the youngest American to reach the round of 16 at Wimbledon since Andy Roddick in 2003.
Nakashima joins Frances Tiafoe, Tommy Paul and Taylor Fritz in the fourth round. That represents the most American men in the round of 16 at the All England Lawn Tennis Club since 1999, and the most to reach the fourth round at a major since the 2011 US Open.
“I think we’re sending a message that we have a lot of depth and there are a lot of strong players that are coming up, constantly getting better,” No. 11 seed Fritz said, when asked about the American’s strong showing after their third match. round victory against Alex Molcan.
“I’ve said this before. I guess we don’t necessarily have all the attention because we don’t have a current Grand Slam champion, a current guy who is 1, 2, 3 in the world, but we have six or seven guys who are in the Top 40. that they’re all young. Four guys in the Round of 16, and we could have more. We’ve got a lot of depth and we’ve got a lot of guys that are constantly improving.”
Nakashima, who reached the semi-finals at the Intesa Sanpaolo Next Gen ATP Finals in Milan last November, is through to the fourth round of a major for the first time. The World No. 56 won 84 per cent (43/51) of his first serve points and faced just one break point in his first ATP Head2Head meeting with Galán.
He faces a tough fourth-round assignment if he wants to further extend his run at SW19: He then meets fourth seed Stefanos Tsitsipas or Nick Kyrgios.
Fritz matched his best Grand Slam result in style with a comfortable 6-4, 6-1, 7-6(3) win against Molcan. The 24-year-old’s only prior run to the second week of a major was at the Australian Open in January.
American No. 1 Fritz gained some form on grass last week at the Rothesay International in Eastbourne, where he lifted the title for the second time at the ATP 250 event without losing serve. His delivery was once again in tune against Molcan, as he fired 20 aces and won 86 per cent (50/58) of his first serve points to record nine of nine set wins on his campaign. from Wimbledon.
“The [Molcan] I couldn’t really play,” Fritz said in his post-match press conference. “It was one of the best service matches I’ve ever had. When I play like that, I free up the rest of my game to just go after the ball, play tennis with a lot of confidence because I know I’m getting these free points on my serve.”
Fritz next faces Jason Kubler, after the Aussie overcame a five-set fight with Jack Sock to keep his dream career alive at the All England Lawn Tennis Club. In a clash between two 29-year-old qualifiers, it was Kubler who found something extra at the end of a four-hour, 15-minute epic. The World No. 99 broke in the first and ninth games of the deciding set to complete a 6-2, 4-6, 5-7, 7-6(4), 6-3 win.
Cristian Garin held off a comeback from 29th seed Jenson Brooksby to record a 6-2, 6-3, 1-6, 6-4 win and reach the fourth round at Wimbledon for the second year in a row.
Former World No. 17 Garin broke Brooksby’s serve six times in a two-hour, 51-minute encounter. The Chilean had suffered first-round defeats on the grass of Halle and Eastbourne before reaching SW19, but now faces Alex de Minaur in the round of 16, after the Aussie edged out British qualifier Liam Broady, 6- 3, 6-4. , 7-5.